FC3 (and beyond) wishlist

Peter Backlund peter.backlund at home.se
Sat Jul 17 18:37:40 UTC 2004

Perhaps I should clarify a few of the points:

On fre, 2004-07-16 at 14:06 +0200, Peter Backlund wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Here's a list of things I'd like to be addressed in FC:

> - modprobe.conf.d and prelink.conf.d, similar to ld.so.conf.d.

No reaction on that one...it's easier for packages to just drop a file
into *.d/ than to grep/echo through a file.

> - A decision on how to, and tools for building and packaging 3:rd party
> kernel modules, including driver updates.

There are a couple of tools available, kernel-module-devel and fedora-
kmodhelper at least. They both facilitate packaging 3:rd party kernel
modules, but neither have been "officially accepted" into Core or
Extras/.us. I'm only saying that it would be nice to have a consistent
way of doing things. Is this discussion really infected? And Jeff, what
does DKMS stand for?

> - Red Carpet (+ Daemon) as preferred dependency manager. It is faster
> than yum, written partly in python (unlike apt),
>   has a much better graphical frontend than apt (Red Carpet vs.
> Synaptic), handles both installs, removals and updates
>   (unlike up2date). The only disadvantage as I see it, is that it was
> developed by
>   the number one competitor (Ximian, now Suse/Ximian/Novell), so I
> suppose this one would be out of the question (?).

Out of the "replace up2date" question, since up2date is tied to Red Hat
Network. Pushing a technology in Fedora that is closely connected to the
competition and offers the same functionality (RC Enterprise) as RHN, is
probably not the smartest thing to do. Although it would be nice to be
able to use RC to talk to RHN...anyway, I still think it should be
adopted, maybe to push yum into Extras, or to go into Extras itself. It
is IMHO simply the best dep. manager out there.

> And some Gnome issues:

This is probably best suited for a Gnome mailing list, but I figured
that maybe some of the RH Gnome hackers could comment on any of it? Like
"good idea", "it's planned", "no way, won't happen" etc.

> - System sounds. And no, don't say "but there are system sounds!". The
> existing ones are far worse than none at all.
>   Things like login/logout, "new mail", error/notification message
> sounds, etc.
>
> - Non-opaque resizing of splitter widgets  (this is probably not
> correctly phrased, but I think you know what I mean).
>   Currently GTK is simply too slow to have opaque resizing, and that
> goes for XUL apps as well.
>
> - Why is the file selector widget using double-click to show bookmarked
> directories? This, to me, is highly irregular.
>
> - In the file association manager, display a list of "known programs",
> like in the "Run..." dialog, when you select a program
>   with which to open a certain file type.

Regards,

Peter Backlund

--