Re: Re: Definition of Open Source [was Re: pine: UW permission to distribute]

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 14:50:58 -0400, Bill Nottingham <notting redhat com> wrote:
> The biggest issue here is that 'Addons' that don't fit the Core
> or Extras profile mainly fall into two categories:
>
> - can't ship because of free/OSS rules
> - can't ship because of patent and other legal rules
>
> The latter of those *cannot* be branded as Fedora(tm), and the
> former really is a very small case.

Which makes me wonder about the tradeoffs between strictly applying
free/OSS rules to all Fedora branded sub-repos and providing access in
the Fedora build structure for those very small number cases of the
former as a courtesy to community. Because there certaintly are
tradeoffs.

-jef