Re: PROPOSAL: Core size reduction "bug day"

On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 09:17:42PM -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:

> There are other candidates, one of which I mentioned to Michael Tiemann the
> other day.  These are but a few suggestions, based upon sorting by size and
> running test removals under Synaptic.  All sizes quoted below are installed
> sizes as reported by Synaptic.  It appears to me that Synaptic underreports
> sizes by a significant margin, though.
> * Gnucash (72MB).  Extras, not Core.  I have this one installed, but
> it still is not Core functionality.

It's a shame that this package is so large, but I think that this, or
some other accounting package should remain as part of the core.
Checkbook balancing and general personal finance tracking are a common
enough activity that some way to do this seems as though it should be
provided by the core application set.

> * The X.org 100DPI fonts, unless and until a GUI config utility can
> be had to easily switch between the 75DPI fonts and these. (and
> those that might say that I just need a higher resolution to
> appreciate them, well, I have one reply: I'm at 1400x1050 now; want
> me to go higher? :-)) Just how many fonts need to be Core material?

Here xdpyinfo says "resolution: 112x112 dots per inch".  I wouldn't be
surprised to find out that most monitors today are closer to 100 DPI
than they are to 75 DPI.  Since even with the current set of fonts
people complain about a lack of nice fonts, I think that these are
still worth the 1.5M that they seem to occupy.

Anyway, thanks for the thourough and detailed analysis.  There is
indeed some trimming to be done.

John Kodis                                    Goddard Space Flight Center
kodis mail630 gsfc nasa gov                      Greenbelt, Maryland, USA
Phone: 301-286-7376                                     Fax: 301-286-1771