IDEA: Shortening boot-time

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sun Jul 25 15:06:28 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 21:08, David Nielsen wrote:

> Yeah, what ever happened to Seth's python based init thingy, it sounded
> like such a cool idea when it was presented, but then there was no
> follow up. Seth seems to have a lot of good ideas concerning usability,
> and making UNIX not suck, we should all pay more attention to him.

It's probably a lot of work (though not enormous, I'm sure one person
working on it for a couple months could do it). gdm fix can probably be
done without it.

Pretty sure the main point there wasn't python but creating a robust and
deterministic extensible framework... defining how things work a bit
more than just "run these shell scripts"

By avoiding shell and tracking the service lifecycles with D-BUS, you
can do a lot of things that are hard to do in shell, the shell stuff is
fragile, tends to have race conditions and fail to handle errors in any
sane way. Displaying progress, named function-based runlevels such as
"GUI" or "single user", etc. are other useful goals.

http://www.gnome.org/~seth/blog/2003/Sep/27 is the url I guess.

Anyway, a fun project for someone.

Havoc