PROPOSAL: Core size reduction "bug day"

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Jul 26 02:41:41 UTC 2004

Jeff Spaleta (jspaleta at gmail.com) said:
> Everyone who want a preview of what a smaller Core is going to taste
> like, search around for the 2 cd set of the fc1 publisher edition and
> install it.  As a starting point to the 'how the frell do we make Core
> smaller' debate I want specifics on how Red Hat has traditionally
> chosen how to create the 2 cd publisher editions, as historical
> perspective on how to compromise so that nobody in the process is
> happy.

1) Take out everything we took out in the last one
2) Keep taking out more things until it fits

As for how we determined what gets purged, you start with
the following categories:

- docs
- non-default kernel images (i586, athlon, BOOT)
- extra backgrounds, sounds
- compat-*
- *debug*
- alternate arch packages (i386 glibc, openssl)
- support for non-toplevel languages
  (basically, other than English, German, French, Spanish, Italian,
  Portuguese, Chinese (both Simplified and Traditional), Japanese, Korean)
- libraries not used by any apps
- 'other large apps, as need be', including, but not limited to:
   ImageMagick
   <games>
   non-default apps (abiword, balsa, sylpheed, ddd, sawfish, etc)
   math/science/HPC stuff (pvm, octave, etc)
   xemacs

Bill