Re: IDEA: Shortening boot-time

Matthew Miller wrote:
On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 03:16:50PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:

The last time this was tried, the total speedup was on the order of
10% or so. Perhaps it's changed, but it wasn't a extreme speedup.

Yeah, I remember that. But hey, I'll take 10%. And it's probably somewhat
more on SMP and hyperthreading system.

And really, speedup and parallelization is only an incidental benefit --
it'd be nice for services to know what they need before they start, rather
than depending on magic number ordering.

Well, I measured my startup times to gdm showing up: - 65s FC2 unmodified (minimal services) - 42s starting gdm as soon as possible (nothing else in parallel)

compared to:
- 17s Windows XP

which shows, that we have a long way to go :)
and probably have to add a kernel module, which displays a fake login screen :) *just kidding*