PROPOSAL: Core size reduction "bug day"

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon Jul 26 14:07:23 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 23:08, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 03:17, Lamar Owen wrote:
>
> > Oh, as another benchmark, the kernel itself is the 16th largest package on my
> > system, massing 35MB (!!!!) (A BIG part of that is
> > the /lib/modules/$version/build tree).
>
> The build directory could really be split off into a separate
> sub-package so that only people who want to build modules against
> running kernels need to install it.

That, plus including something in it that would allow full
arch-qualified "Requires: " in spec files would make many 3rd party
packagers happier.  For example with file-based dependencies: put the
build/ directory and everything below it into a subpackage, and add a
"build.$arch -> build" symlink in /lib/modules/$uname and make the new
subpackage "own" the symlink.