Re: IDEA: Shortening boot-time

Harald Hoyer wrote:
Matthew Miller wrote:

Well, I measured my startup times to gdm showing up: - 65s FC2 unmodified (minimal services) - 42s starting gdm as soon as possible (nothing else in parallel)

compared to:
- 17s Windows XP

which shows, that we have a long way to go :)
and probably have to add a kernel module, which displays a fake login screen :) *just kidding*

Actually that could be the answer with the new X.org paradigm. Have a very simple 320x200 login screen in one screen buffer, and have the real X written in the rest of the memory. Have the monitor display the first one as soon as possible while other things are happening in the background, and then goto the real X as services are rendered.