Re: linux registry (no, not that again!)

Once upon a time, John Hearns <john hearns clustervision com> said:
> I think though that people see LDAP as a 'NIS replacement' for the users
> and groups functions, and go for things like LCFG and cfengine for the
> 'system' type settings. Just my two penny worth - as I think LDAP could
> have uses there too.

One thing about OpenLDAP is that you have to shut it down to add new
schema.  That means if you install a new program that wants to add to
the schema for its config, the OpenLDAP server has to be stopped and
restarted, and there's always a chance (especially when changing config)
that it won't restart.  Also, the security controls are somewhat arcane
(and also probably need to be "touched" when modifying the schema for
something new).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams hiwaay net>