linux registry (no, not that again!)

Neal D. Becker ndbecker2 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 28 17:48:09 UTC 2004

Jonathan Andrews wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 17:56, Neal D. Becker wrote:
>> Neal D. Becker wrote:
>>
>> > Yes, here's the linux registry topic again.  This project looks
>> > interesting. Any comments?
>> >
>> > http://registry.sourceforge.net/
>> >

>> One motivation that I didn't hear anyone mention:
>>
>> It is difficult to add entries/edit a flat file.
> ^^^Bingo !!! Somebody else hits the nail on the head
>
> Hence the need for "A COMMON API FOR MANIPULATING TEXT IN FLAT FILES"
>
> I've written a utility in plain'Ol C.  Its got two functions for reading
> and writing flat file config files and a utility that uses them. I'm not
> suggesting this become a standard, but something like it should exist in
> the core libs??
>
> This is the same type of code I see done over and over again because its
> missing from the core API for Unix.
>

> My util....
> ********
> [root at localhost onsight-utils]# readwriteconfig
>
> readwriteconfig -r filename variable
> readwriteconfig -w filename variable=value
>
> Examples:
>     readwriteconfig -w
>     /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0
>     IPADDR=192.168.1.113
>
> Writing will return a single character A=appended C=Changed N=File to
> large. Reading will return the variables value only or nothing if the
> string is not found
>
> [root at localhost onsight-utils]#

I think you have an interesting idea.  Problem is, it would have to assume a
particular structure/format for the file.

Now, suppose you combine your editor (that's what I'm calling your util)
with a pluggable language to describe the format.  Then you can keep the
existing config files as they are, don't modify the client programs, yet
have a common front end to do the configuration.  But then, isn't that what
Yast and friends are already doing?