linux registry (no, not that again!)

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe_alfaro at linuxmail.org
Wed Jul 28 18:13:18 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 17:28 +0100, Jonathan Andrews wrote:

> I have seen variants on the same 200 lines of code for 10 years, even
> windows had an API for ".ini" files from windows 3.11, yet Unix/Linux
> still has no common configuration standard....  Now we have some people
> pushing for XML and other horrors - if the O/S had tackled the problem
> head on then the differences between distributions would be less and the
> portability of configuration would be greater. Unix people seem to agree
> small files, plain text - yet they have no common API ?? Doesn't this
> just contribute to the mess !

No, as what could seem best suited for one couldn't be flexible/scalable
for another. I think that trying to find a single configuration scheme
(one-size-fits-all) is a bad idea. Just imagine storing thousands Snort
rules on a Windows-like registry.

The KEY=value methapor is not well suited for every kind of application.