Re: IDEA: Shortening boot-time

On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 18:00, Michael Favia wrote:
> Rik van Riel wrote:
>
> >Not on systems where the home directory is NFS mounted ;)
> >

> This might be a silly question but cant we test if this is the case?

No, Nfs mounted (or afs, for that matter) dirs could be simply be
automounted. You'd have to know:

 1. where the user's homedir is (which, of course, we do)
 2. follow that path out to figure out what controls it: afs, autofs,
nfs, cifs, etc.
 3. determine what to do in that case.

it's not necessarily impossible, but it's damned hard and complicated
for limited benefit.

-sv