tuxracer & chromium move to Extras

Stan Bubrouski stan at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Jul 30 15:52:10 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 15:37 +1000, Colin Charles wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 23:50, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > Chromium probably could go. Tuxracer I'd be inclined to keep as its a
> > very good 3D demo and its very Linux. Its also very small compared to a lot
> > of the newer games.
>
> True, I'd keep Tuxracer around. We should also think about users of FC3
> whom are going to be demoing the machine (I do this frequently) -
> sometimes, setting up demo machines happen, and people don't have
> Internet access while this is being done, so getting stuff from Extras
> is hard

Well if its going to be kept around it MUST be maintained.  I mean hell
it hasn't been updated AT ALL in how long?  I haven't been able to run
it for more than 2+ years on my machine.  Needless to say whatever the
problems are they are not fixed.  Frankly I don't know what the problem
is but on my machine at least I could NEVER get it working with nv
driver or the binary-only nvidia driver.  The game would always run at
like 3 frames/2 sec so it was completely unusable or even operatable.  I
have to kill it to exit it cause the cursor can never reach the damn
buttons.  I say if it cant even work on common hardware it shouldn't be
included period.  I'm glad someone started this thread cause its
unmaintained stuff like this that isnt essential being included that
really bugs me.

> And digressing, we have no definition of what stays in Core or Extras.
> Also, we just lack an Extras (or Alternatives for the matter) currently.
> So this has to be well defined first, and at some stage, my vote will go
> to Extras also making CD (or DVD) ISOs, so that if folk wan't complete
> "Fedora" sets, they might get seven CDs, 4 of which might be Core, and 3
> of which are Extras/Alternatives

My criteria is that if it isn't essential it really doesn't need to be
in core.  If its non-essential AND unmaintained it should be scrapped or
put in Extras.

> Keeping in mind again, not everyone is (fast) Internet connected
> /me speaks from the 3rd world country POV
> --
> Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
> http://www.bytebot.net/
> "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you,
> then you win." -- Mohandas Gandhi

-sb
--
Stan Bubrouski <stan at ccs.neu.edu>