Status and outlook of LSB and FHS compliance of Fedora.

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu Jun 3 11:50:16 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 11:25:23AM +0200, Phil Knirsch wrote:
> Only bind, httpd and vsftpd are the really imporant packages with lots
> of data. Bind will stay where it is mainly for historical reasons as
> everyone excpects /var/named to exist and contain all the important bind
> configuration and data.

And mailman. You can have gigabytes of mailman archives on some sites.

> That only leaves vsftpd and httpd. The problem with those packages is
> how to ensure and guarantee a 100% safe data migration of data during an
> upgrade. For that reason we probably will keep them where they are for
> now, too. For httpd it would also probably brake quite a few 3rd party
> applications that either directly write to /var/www/html or which do
> some other work with /var/www and expect it to be there as currently.

I don't think there is any way to do http or vsftp migration. Honouring
the existing configuration file might help. Moving data certainly isnt
viable during install. The downside of this is no future tools can make
sane assumptions about ftp area location

> So mainly for historical and data migration reasons we have decided to
> only provide /media and /srv for FHS-2.3 compliant applications in the
> near future but won't move any of the existing package data there for now.

Seems sensible