Status and outlook of LSB and FHS compliance of Fedora.

Fri Jun 4 14:33:16 UTC 2004

Le ven, 04/06/2004 à 09:45 -0400, Tom Diehl a écrit :
> On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Phil Knirsch wrote:
>
> > That was one of the main reasons for not putting now too much into /srv
> > at first. A slow migration will allow things to get sorted out and see
> > if people like the idea in general.
> >
> > This is not a revolution, it's an evolution where the LSB and the FHS
> > try to put a little more sense and structure into a filesystem
> > hierarchy that has grown over the last 20-30 years and which is bound
> > to have some archaic and arguably wrong places where to put stuff.
> >
> > And believe me, you don't want to sit in my/our chair if we move httpd
> > from /var/www and it breaks only for 1% of our customers. :-)
>
> You mean like when you mv'd it from /home/www to /var/www? I seem to remember
> going through this a few years ago. :-(

And the problem with this was always it fixed apache without fixing all
the other users, since new toplevel dirs in /var are actually
discouraged. At least with /srv/, you don't limit the coverage to one
app, or even all the currently existing apps.

/var/www always felt too apache-centric, but I guess everyone was so
hapy to dump /home/httpd no one cared at the time.

--
Nicolas Mailhot