Status and outlook of LSB and FHS compliance of Fedora.

Aaron Bennett aaron.bennett at olin.edu
Fri Jun 4 18:31:34 UTC 2004

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:

> I don't think any Fedora package is an add-on to the system. And some
> being optional, everything under /usr is. :)

ok then, according to the spec all of the Fedora.us (Fedora Extras)
stuff should go under /opt.

> Sun's java rpm doesn't in my linux system.

All of their Solaris stuff does under Solaris... that's what I meant.

> Why should any package from any vendor for any system that allows seamless
> installation, removal, listing and verification have to go to /opt?

I don't know.  I'm not advocating moving anything to /opt.  For a number
of reasons I hate it.  What I'm saying is just moving a bunch of stuff
to /svr won't achieve FHS compliance unless /opt is addressed.  I think
that the FHS is a bunch of hooey, to be honest.

--
Aaron Bennett
UNIX Administrator