Package List

Childers, Matthew mchilders at bentonville.k12.ar.us
Fri Jun 4 20:02:37 UTC 2004

Not sure if this is the right list or not, but I was wondering if it would be possible to include a list of packages that the distribution includes in a text file.  When I go to install a package from the fedora cd’s I have to put in each cd, mount it, then see if the package exists on that cd.  If not, I then have to umount the cd, load up the next one and try again.  I was thinking maybe something like /etc/packages that would look like this:

package-1.0-1.i386.rpm  disk1
package2-1.0-1.i386.rpm  disk1

For all the packages included on the cd’s.  Then when you wanted to see which cd a package was on you could simply cat /etc/packages | grep package.  Plus I have seen a lot of requests on newsgroups about people wanting to know what all packages are included in a release.  I noticed that the redhat-config-packages knows which cd’s packages are on, and was hoping that it had a text file like I mentioned, but I can’t seem to find one.  The closest I can find is the /usr/share/comps/i386/comps.xml, which doesn’t include disk information.  And maybe there is a better way of doing this, and I just don’t know how.  If so someone knows, please share.  ☺

Thanks for your time,
Matt