Why are there only i686 and i586 Version of glibc and kernel?-- not "lite" (386/486 @ 400MHz+, 256MB RAM)

Razvan Corneliu C.R. "d3vi1" VILT razvan.vilt at linux360.ro
Sun Jun 6 17:14:53 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-06 at 19:31, Chris Chabot wrote:

> Hmm the only things i would see missing TCL is expect, compat-db-4 and maybe
> the occasional eggdrop? Kill it i say! :-)
>
> From: "Alan Cox" <alan at redhat.com>
> <massive snippage>
> > rather like killing off tcl and perl will
> > (and no nobody plans to remove perl...)

Not a very open-source attitude. Open-source is about having options. We
should not kill anything... Just move them in a separate repository,
like.... say... Fedora Extras.

That reminds me. Some people actually love LPRng, enlightenment,
wu-imapd, wmaker, lilo, $other_removed_package. By removing those you
sometimes break backwards compatibility! They should be in Fedora
Extras, and while upgrading the distro, the user should be warned that
$removed_package will not be available anymore.

You can't even begin to imagine what it felt like when I upgraded a RH9
(upgraded from 7.1 (upgraded from 6.2(upgraded from 6.0 (upgraded from
4.2)))) to FC2 and discovered that imap doesn't work anymore. I did read
the release notes, but those didn't warn me about the removal of the
already existing package. I really hated cyrus-imapd after that. We
should start working on simple upgrade scripts from now on. If upgrading
to cyrus/dovecot is mandatory, the user should be aware of how to
migrate his current config AND DATA to the newer version.

I have nothing actually against the replacements except for the fact
that they gave me some trouble on the way.

We should always consider that some users are stoooopid and that it's
not obvious for them how to work with the upgrade. Documentation,
warnings, upgrade scripts, all of them should be present here!!! At
least if we want Fedora to still be considered a professional
distribution, made by professional developers (I know about the bleeding
edge stuff, but I don't buy that, maybe a little on rawhide, which is
still stable enough for me).

Cheers

Răzvan Corneliu VILT                      e-mail:razvan.vilt at linux360.ro
GPG:http://d3vi1.linux360.ro/public-keys/ www: http://d3vi1.linux360.ro/