Why are there only i686 and i586 Version of glibc and kernel?-- not "lite" (386/486 @ 400MHz+, 256MB RAM)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 17:19:54 UTC 2004

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 12:09:36 -0500, Crutcher Dunnavant
<crutcher at gmail.com> wrote:

> A great part of the scientific and educational apps in the wild are
> written in TCL. To drop TCL would be to drop support for much of the
> academic user base's homebrew.

IF the discussion going forward is going to center on the debate on
how to slim core down and use extras to suppliment a slimmer core....
dropping tcl in Core and moving it into Extras makes a lot of sense.
I'm a firm believer that if Core is really going to become a general
purpose operating system as stated in the objective list for the
project, things that cater specifical to niche groups have to be
pulled out of Core and into Extras. If general purpose is the
goal....the pendatic needs of scientific computing users are niche. If
general purpose is the goal...then even the pedantic needs of
developers are niche.  There's no reason we need to keep all of these
niche tools and libs in Core, when Extras is meant to be there to
suppliment Core as part of a larger Fedora Project.

-jef"pround card carrying member of the tcl using scientific computer
crowd"spaleta