Why are there only i686 and i586 Versions of glibc andkernel?-- not "lite" (386/486 @ 400MHz+, 256MB RAM)

Chris Chabot chabotc at 4-ice.com
Mon Jun 7 05:23:19 UTC 2004

> Yeah. See, I never thought that new users would ever use ONLY Core.
> They would use disks with Core, Desktop, Devel, Multimedia on them.
> But thin boxes, like routers, VPN boxes, etc would use just Core.
> Crutcher crutcher at gmail.com

You do realise btw that if you pick the minimal install as it exists now
(which is about 90mb), you have exactly what you describe? No engineering or
arguing needed for that..

See my emails a week (or 2?) ago on this topic.. you can fit suprisingly
much on 1 CD, i even wrote a little tool to measure this and calculate
dependencies, install & packaged size. Suffice to say you can fit all of the
base utils, x, gnome desktop (and apps), mozilla and openoffice on one
install cd... easely (and thats including the complete build tools,
and -devel packages)

Measure twice... cut (or argue) once :-)

    -- Chris