Shrinking/splitting up core Was: Why are there only i686 and i586 Version of glibc...

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 14:39:18 UTC 2004

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 08:24:11 -0600, Stephen Smoogen <smoogen at lanl.gov> wrote:
> I dont think Anaconda is meant to look at anything beyond the bare
> installation Cd's the rest should be done with first-boot. Maybe first
> boot should have a yum configuration section where you can enter the yum
> places you want to to point ot.

If anaconda only handled installs...and not upgrades this makes sense.
The real problem comes with how to do media based upgrades cleanly in
a Core/Extras/Alternatives world.  And if people are serious about
making Core smaller, and moving things into Extras it makes it that
much more difficult to rationalize the idea that "most" people won't
be using extras on their systems.
The reality is...IF Core shrinks having a media based upgrade path
that works with Extras media as well as Core is going to be more
important. If anaconda can be made to cleanly deal with Core/Extras
upgrade paths(at a minimum...forget for a second Alternatives and 3rd
parties) then anaconda should just lose upgrade ability completely and
we should deem another solution as the upgrade path. Moving
forward..in a smaller Core scenario dealing with Extras during
upgrades cleanly is something a expect a lot of the unwashed userbase
are going to need.

-jef