Shrinking/splitting up core Was: Why are there only i686 and i586 Version of glibc...

kbn at daimi.au.dk kbn at daimi.au.dk
Mon Jun 7 18:18:48 UTC 2004

Where I work, we do all our installs via kickstarts and PXE. First we
create a kickstart for the machines, and then uses PXE to reinstall the
machines remote. Of course the machines has to support network boot, but
many machines do that allready.

Here's a link to get PXE up and running:
http://www.stanford.edu/~alfw/PXE-Kickstart/PXE-Kickstart.html

In our kickstart post section, we, among other things, have a section
that runs a yum update command that point to one of our servers. But of
course this server could be any server.

So we are able to do the same as the HP-UX. It's not a single tool, but
a combination of tools makes this possible.

Currently we are doing this with RH9 and RH7.3, but during the summer I
expect RH AS3 and Fedora Core 2 to be installed in the same way. At
present, i cannot see any problems in doing this.

Regards
/kbn