Fedora Documentation

alan alan at clueserver.org
Mon Jun 7 18:32:08 UTC 2004

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Gérard Milmeister wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 17:05, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Has anyone come across any good tools to manage a "bookshelf" of online
> > documentation and books in general.
> >
> > Thinking about the big documents relevant to Fedora and credibly
> > maintained (ie not download the howto's) I rapidly got past 20 good
> > free/shippable documents. The trouble is they are in multiple formats
> > even if they could all be output as PDF.
> >
> > -	GNU manuals like the Emacs manual are generally texinfo but
> > 	very comprehensive
> > -	Other online books are docbook (3,4,sgml and xml)
> > -	Some stuff is in OpenOffice
> > -	One or two are in weird "see we followed the license" xml
> > 	but rescuable
> >
> > A properly organised bookshelf seems an ideal thing to have, I'm just
> > wondering about tools
> >
> I once made an attempt at an nautilus-view that resembles the
> applications: or fonts: uri in that it displays categories of
> documentation as folders. The docs themselves would be installed
> similarly to install-info into the right category and managed in an xml
> file. Clicking on a document icon would then automatically display it
> with the right viewer.

I am working on one for my own usage, but I have not gotten very far.

Part of the problem is organization and grouping.  A "book" may be
composed of a single file or a collection of files.  You also may have
multiple versions that need to be grouped together.  (Such as the same
book in different formats or images and illustrations that may go with a
specific set of books, such as cover art.)

And then there is the issue of bibliotex references and other such addons.

Maybe I need to actually get that project in gear...

I have a site for hosting it.  The domain is for my more "discordian"
linux projects.  It is at "fnordora.org".