init patch

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sat Jun 12 12:57:19 UTC 2004

I've been having some problems with the init patch for SE Linux.  Firstly it
seems that L_VB is not the correct option for calls to log() as syslogd is
not started at that stage.  L_VB expands to (L_CO|L_SY) where L_CO (for
console logging) is all that's required.

For reasons that I have not determined console logging doesn't seem to work.
But it seems to me that log(L_CO, ... isn't the right way to go either.  As
the code in question will be run by init at first startup when the kernel
will already have stdout pointing to /dev/console, why not just use printf()
to display log messages?