how to override kernel modules?

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Mon Jun 14 02:03:27 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 12:50, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> >From what I have read in the list, FC >= 1 has a /lib/modules/`uname
> -r`/updates directory where kernel modules could be dropped to override
> modules that are included in the standard kernel.
>
> Apparently that is not happening. The kernel modules in the "updates"
> directory are always showing up in modules.dep _after_ the kernel
> modules in the main tree.
>
> Anything I need to do to change this?

I did some more code reading and apparently you can't override a kernel
module with another module of the same name _reliably_. That was a
possibility under 2.4.x but not under 2.6.x. The new module utilities
apparently just do a readdir scan of /lib/module/`uname -r`/ and the
order of "discovery" depends on what readdir returns (what is the
ordering of the returned entries, if any??).

I hope I'm wrong and there's something I did miss. If my assesment is
correct, I'm left with  not options for upgrading the ALSA subsystem
independently of the kernel itself. Arghhhh...

-- Fernando