how to override kernel modules?

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Mon Jun 14 18:12:35 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-13 at 19:03, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 12:50, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > >From what I have read in the list, FC >= 1 has a /lib/modules/`uname
> > -r`/updates directory where kernel modules could be dropped to override
> > modules that are included in the standard kernel.
> >
> > Apparently that is not happening. The kernel modules in the "updates"
> > directory are always showing up in modules.dep _after_ the kernel
> > modules in the main tree.
> >
> > Anything I need to do to change this?
>
> I did some more code reading and apparently you can't override a kernel
> module with another module of the same name _reliably_.
> [MUNCH]
> I hope I'm wrong and there's something I did miss.

Apparently not.

> If my assesment is
> correct, I'm left with  not options for upgrading the ALSA subsystem
> independently of the kernel itself. Arghhhh...

The only one I can think of would be to patch modutils. Best patch would
probably be to detect duplicate modules and put the newer ones first in
modules.dep. Probably too complicated, and will slow down depmod. Much
simpler would be to order (alphabetic ordering will do) the
subdirectories in /lib/modules/`uname -r` before recursing into them. A
suitable choice for the updates directory name will ensure that the new
modules get depmod'ed first.

-- Fernando