source vs. sourcecode

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Jun 15 00:16:58 UTC 2004

Scott Sloan writes:

> This was pointed out over on fedora-list
>
> the lastest kernel src package is kernel-sourcecode. Although I can
> understand what the package contains, neither apt or yum knew it was an
> update to kernel-source. Is the naming switch from source to sourcecode
> an Error or a new naming standard?

As I recall the source RPM is now built as noarch, and up2date was losing
its mind trying to figure out how to update {i386,x86_64}.rpm to a
noarch.rpm, so the name change was the easy way out.

Along the same lines, when I updated FC1 to FC2 on x86_64, I ended up with
Mozilla 1.4 i386 RPMs, from FC1, “overlayed” with Mozilla 1.6 x86_64 RPMs
from x86_64.  Messy.