Kernel Stack Sizes

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu Jun 17 11:06:45 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 07:03:36PM -0400, Steve Brenneis wrote:
> couldn't find anything. Can anyone tell me why the Fedora 2.6 kernels
> are configured for 4K stacks? This breaks a wide variety of device
> drivers including the bundled firewire driver, linuxant Broadcom driver
> loader, and the nVidia graphics driver.

There is no firewire driver in the FC2 base kernel. It was only added for
the errata kernel because the one from 2.6.5 was too buggy to ship

As to the 4K stacks - anything that doesn't run with a 4K stack was in
effect already broken, it just happened not to crash too often. 4K stacks
and seperate interrupt stacks improve performance and reliability.

Alan