Kernel Stack Sizes

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Thu Jun 17 13:47:42 UTC 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 23:13:13 -0400, Steve Brenneis wrote:
> Another point: Linux has made great strides with the hardware vendors. A
> few short years ago, a company like nVidia would never have even
> considered producing a Linux driver, binary or otherwise. Does it make
> sense now to get up in their faces and say, in essence, "you will now do
> things to suit us?" Remember, they have little or no incentive to do
> anything for Linux.

That's incorrect, nVidia have huge incentive to produce drivers for Linux.
The large commercial graphics houses demand it - or what, did you think
nVidia made Linux drivers because they are fluffy and nice and sweet?

This is a classic case of the problems proprietary software
can cause. Everything is peaches until you need the software to do
something it doesn't currently do, then you're stuck. I say this as
somebody who uses the nVidia drivers on FC1 today by the way, but I'm
still intending to upgrade. I'll use the open source (sort of, iirc they
are obfuscate) drivers until nVidia release an update.

Unfortunately there are no good answers to this problem ... so far
nobody has come up with a convincing business strategy that lets nVidia
open source their drivers, and the kernel developers won't give binary
driver developers any breaks. Rock, meet hard place.

thanks -mike