libogg and upgrading core packages policy

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Jun 19 18:44:59 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 12:52:03PM -0500, Richard June wrote:
> > Yes, but choose based on what criteria? security, stability and
> > functionality is what you check for.
> >
> > The argument of some (all?) repos carrying updates to the vendor repo
> > is almost exclusively used with the background of stability.

> Ok, let's drop stability for a minute. how's this for a good reason to be
> *VERY* wary of upgrading vendor pkgs.
> If you use FC1 and upgrade to KDE 3.2, any program which uses arts for audio
> output becomes somewhat broken. IIRC it wasn't anything too major like it
> wouldn't run, just it wouldn't run in KDE.

You probably know about the kde-redhat project, so have a look and see
how they solved this.

> And these repos are usually the ones that cause breakage with the
> vendors pkgs and with other vendor compatible repos. before I knew
> better I used one of said repos. I confused the hell out of poor
> yum.

Well, all repos claim to be compatible to the vendor, it would be moot
to announce an FC1 non-FC1 compatible repo ...
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net