More bad dependencies

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Jun 22 04:26:51 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 18:12 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> Realistically we will not be able to remove gtk+ from the default
> install anytime soon because too many proprietary applications will
> depend on it for many years to come.  However it is good to move
> applications to gtk2 whenever possible, because it makes i18n much less
> problematic.

Actually, there are a couple of things here:
1) The GNOME 1.x library stack.  I think we're close to being able to
lose this and move it to a compat lib status, similar to compat-glibc,
etc.  Mark it as deprecated and actually get rid of them within a
release or two.  The amount of new software being released still using
these libraries is small and people can always get the old ones
2) GTK+ 1.2.  This will probably stick around in the distribution
longer, but I don't think that it necessarily needs to be installed by
default.

We have to be a little bit more aggressive with losing some backwards
compatibility packages or else we're going to be at 6 CDs and 2 DVDs
before much longer :)

Jeremy