packages that BuildRequire: gettext that need to change to gettext-devel

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Thu Jun 24 05:35:32 UTC 2004

Florian La Roche wrote:
>>So as an alternative, I'd like to move autopoint (and probably more
>>development tools) into gettext-devel.  See bug #126071.  This brings up
>>the main point: a lot of packages presently BuildRequire: gettext, and I
>>think all of them will need to change to gettext-devel.  This is the
>>list from rawhide:
>

> I think this exactly shows why it does not make sense to list buildreqs
> in too much detail. gettext/texinfo/auto*/libtool etc all should be
> required elsewhere.

Very much in disagreement, especially about the auto* tools and libtool.
  auto* is problematic because:

1) Upstream sources should not require it to build ... OR ... lxo
suggested that we should patch in the auto* result... which IMHO is a
bit ugly...
2) Sources too often need a SPECIFIC VERSION of auto*, and implicit
auto* in the buildroot only obscures problems rather than encouraging
people from fixing them.

libtool is similar to #1.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com