Initrd Help - Upgrading the kernel

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Thu Jun 24 08:14:55 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 10:00 +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 09:51, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:
> > Hi, I'm sorry for posting this but I'd like to ask for a favor.
> > I'm stuck and unable to upgrade the kernel. That's because the initrd
> > (which I need to load xfs) is generated post-install, and losetup does
> > not work on my system. It fails with memlock: Unable to lock into
> > memory. I filed a bug, but after some googling around I found a message
> > from Warren Togami that this issue is kernel-related and has been fixed
> > in later releases. The problem is that I'm stuck at this particular
> > release (414) with no other kernel. Knoppix chroot has some permission
> > issue that won't let me do anything useful.
>
> you can work around it with "ulimit -l unlimited"
> [root at cobra tmp]# ulimit -l unlimited

Thanks very much...It works!
Module errors - maybe you'll be interested - I don't use tux.

[root at cobra tmp]# /sbin/new-kernel-pkg --mkinitrd --depmod --install
2.6.7-1.448
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.7-1.448/kernel/net/tux/tux.ko needs unknown
symbol tcp_min_write_space
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.7-1.448/kernel/net/tux/tux.ko needs unknown
symbol tcp_wspace
grubby fatal error: unable to find a suitable template
[root at cobra tmp]#

The grubby error is because grubby can't properly parse a (hd0,0) in
front of the kernel line. I've filed a bug but it's been ignored so far.