No more kernel-source(code) ??? (was: rawhide report: 20040623 changes)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Jun 25 04:45:31 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 25.06.2004 schrieb Alexandre Oliva um 5:53:
> On Jun 24, 2004, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> wrote:
>
> >     kernel-source(code) is needed for a migration phase
>
> Err...  You shouldn't need kernel-source to build kernel modules.

You need it in rare cases -- if you want to build modules from the
kernel that were not build by rh/fedora. At the moment I'm using it to
build the ntfs ;-) and the dvb modules that are missing in the released
binary kernel...

IIRC the old (~in the 2.4.19 days) nforce drivers also needed the source
for their audio-drivers. They patched some files from kernel-source and
compiled them again. And didn't the ati radeon/fglrx drivers use the
agpgart Source from the Kernel and patched them with some updates and
compiled them anew? But both examples are only a "IIRC" and I may be
wrong in both...

CU
thl