No more kernel-source(code) ??? (was: rawhide report: 20040623 changes)

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Fri Jun 25 18:26:46 UTC 2004

On Jun 25, 2004, Aaron Bennett <aaron.bennett at olin.edu> wrote:

> Sorry also for coming late to this thread, but I'd like to endorse
> kernel-devel as well.

I'd like that too.  There's no reason to keep headers around if I'm
not going to build modules, and don't *want* to accidentally build
modules.

It shouldn't contain full kernel sources, though (they're available
elsewhere), only whatever is needed to build kernel modules.

This will not only save space, but also install time, since hardlinks
will likely run faster if it only looks at the modules tree.

The only (minor) issue with splitting kernel-devel out of kernel is
that up2date should probably be taught to not upgrade this package by
default, otherwise you may end up being unable to build modules for
the running kernel just because you up2dated your box to a newer
kernel release, which brought in a new kernel-devel.