Unnanounced migration phase at its end, non-transparency, "open" community project ... (was: No more kernel-source(code) ???)

Aaron Bennett aaron.bennett at olin.edu
Mon Jun 28 15:55:35 UTC 2004

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

>>If you are going to change this procedure for Fedora Core to something
>>like "install the src.rpm, edit a config file and rebuild it etc," it
>>should not change mid-release!!!!!!!!!
>>

>Nobody, and I mean nobody, suggested doing this for FC2 so far.

ok, my bad and sorry for the exclamation points.  I saw the change made
to rawhide and thought that might be a proposal for FC2.

>we already don't ship /usr/src/linux since about RHL7.1 days...

no, but you ship /usr/src/linux-<version>; most people will find that.

>http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/index.html is what I hope google will point at....

me too.  That's one example.  What I'm saying is that, if the "standard"
way of making a change to your kernel in Linux is to recompile from
source in /usr/src/linux-$(uname -r), and on Fedora Core that is not the
way to do it, it's got to be very well documented and public that the
"new" way is to do <foo>.

Anyhow, thanks for reading.

- Aaron

--