package shepherding

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Thu Mar 4 16:05:37 UTC 2004

Hi Mike,

> Exactly.  The problem with the bugzilla priority field is that
> there is no real definition of what "priority" means.  Priority
> to WHOM?

I hardly touch that tag myself, although I might set it to high on
severe crashes or security issues, or low to minor issues. But priority
to the developer I would say.

> What the overwhelming majority of people reporting bugs do not
> realize, is that engineers receiving the bug reports, do not sit
> in bugzilla 24/7 just fixing bugs.

I do realize that very well. Otoh fixing bugs seems important to me. So
if you can't spend enough time fixing bugs then I would say management
is to blame.

> In 3 years of experience on the receiving end of bug reports, and
> having played "bug-priority-tag" with at least one or two people
> a month for the first 6-8 months, I realized the priority field
> was useless for the purposes that *I* was trying to use it for,
> which was to indicate what priority the bug DOES have.

I can understand that Alexander and you don't feel like educating the
user every time this happens, but is this mentioned in the bugzilla
accompanying docs? Just a warning: How not to piss of a developer by
repeatedly changing tags and make him loose interest in your problem.

> Since the priority field is so useless, I just totally stopped
> ever even looking at it period.

Maybe the tag should be kept around, just as a decoy, so users don't
start playing "bug-severity-tag" with you ;) .

> One needs to do that because it is impossible to try and manage a
> 2000 item "TODO" list.

That can be a challenge, I can see that.

Leonard.