k3b fedora.us reviews or new maintainer wanted!

Mihai Maties mihai at xcyb.org
Fri Mar 19 11:15:03 UTC 2004

On Thursday 18 March 2004 19:37, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Hi Mihai and Rex!
>
> On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 12:45:12 +0200, Mihai Maties wrote:
> > I would be interested in taking over the K3b package. I believe that you
> > are already familiar with some of the work I did regarding packaging for
> > the original K3b developer/maintainer. I would just need to get to know
> > the fedora.us policies a little better...
>
> On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 06:48:20 -0600 (CST), Rex Dieter wrote:
> > I volunteer to maintain the k3b package.  I'm already maintaining the
> > package for the kde-redhat project.  Throwing it at the fedora.us queue
> > won't be too much more work.
>
> That it can be more difficult to package for fedora.us, e.g. due to
> missing mp3 support and building for multiple platforms from a single
> src.rpm or trying to make it co-exist with "Arson", is another
> matter. I've solved the mp3 and KDE 3.1/3.2 issues with conditional code,
> so e.g. building an mp3 plugin package for rpm.livna.org is trivial,
> albeit makes the spec file more ugly. The alternative would be to build
> for "livna" only.

I think that this paragraph reffers to me mostly since Rex is using exactly
your src.rpm to build the packages. I am aware of the policies involved and
my intention was to continue packaging K3b for fedora.us based on your spec
file not mine. I have not decided yet if I'll drop my K3b repository or
continue the work to provide "bleeding-edge" K3b experience for those who
want it, but one thing is certain: the fedora.us packages and xcyb packages
will be more compatible in the future... :)

> Justin M. Forbes has mentioned that k3b might be included with fc2, maybe
> in test3, with the i18n files merged. If that happened, fedora.us k3b
> maintainance would be reduced to fc1 and rh9.

Great news.

Mihai