FastTrack 133 "Lite" or why there is no /dev/hda

Martin Mewes mm at mewes.tv
Tue Mar 23 07:05:43 UTC 2004

Hi Nicolas,

Nicolas Mailhot <Nicolas.Mailhot at laPoste.net> wrote:

>It did require fun grub stuff like
>rootnoverify (hd2,0)
>map (hd2) (hd0)
>to keep the legacy OS bootable, since it ennumerates the drives the
>other way.

Nice catch. I did not think about this ...

But how to deal with this if you do an initial installation of Linux
as the second OS?

In my case I installed Windows XP on the first two IDEs with a device
driver from diskette in order for Windows XP to see the Promise-Chip.
Fedore Core 1 came on as the second OS and initially the HDDs were
named hde, hdf, hdg, hdh.

I think I can remap the HDDs the way you suggest, but this would not
help in initial installations, does it?

bis dahin - kind regards

Martin Mewes

--
http://webmin.mamemu.de/
Official Webmin/Usermin Translation Co-Ordinator 2003/2004