What is the problem with the mirrors?

Noa Resare noa at resare.com
Tue Mar 23 15:34:30 UTC 2004

tis 2004-03-23 klockan 16.03 skrev Jakub Jelinek:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 09:41:39AM -0500, John Ellson wrote:
> > >There aren't many March 22 changes, just rpmdb-redhat...
> > >Several mirrors have even March 22 changes.  What arch are you looking for?
>
> > i386
> >
> > ibiblio doesn't have any rpmdb
> >
> > kernel.org has rpmdb for March 19, but not March 22.
> >
> > duke seems to have died altogether
> >
> > redhat mirrors are impossible to log into this morning
>
> If you want i386, then
> {ftp,http}://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz/pub/fedora/development/
> has everything up to and including March 22. Ditto ia64.
> Other arches are not 100% up2date though, since the current download
> speed from master is not very good and if you have ~ 35GB of
> constantly changing rawhide...

I think it's obvious from this that development/rawhide should be
distribtuted independently from the released fredora trees. Having
stable updates distribution being delayed for days because all mirrors
are busy downloading contless gigabyes of development updates to
architectures very few uses seems like a problem that should get some
priority in fixing.

With numerous well connected mirrors as well as lots of bandwith to the
master site there should be no problem creating a rock solid fast
mirroring system with a little work.

/noa

--
And the lions ate the christians and the christians burned the witches,
and even I am out of explanations -- Ola Salo