[RFC] User Accesable Filesystem Hierarchy Standard

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Sat Mar 27 23:05:55 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-27 at 18:34, Gary L Greene Jr wrote:

> This is a proposal for a standard to accommodate the accessibility of the
> filesystem by end-users. We request discussion on this as a new standard. The
> URL to get to the document is:
>
> http://www.csis.gvsu.edu/~abreschm/uafhs/

I am sure that the filesystem can be arranged in order to make it more
easy to use to the desktop user, Your ideas of a shared directory is
nice, but letting the user "Easily install software without escalating
their privileges" is something that I don't like. The only way that I
like a shared directory is if it is mounted from a filesystem with the
"noexec" flag.

I think that the software installation can be made easy with the help of
a better "Add/Remove Programs", and the security aspect could be
enhanced with the help of a SELinux policy for this program(s) (I am not
an expert in SELinux, so I could be wrong)

--
Robert Marcano