Dealing with DMCA issues in Tracker

Brad Smith brads at redhat.com
Sun Mar 28 16:28:25 UTC 2004

It has been pointed out to me that one problem Tracker may run into is
legal issues with linking directly to the RPMs at livna.org. I've been
thinking about ways to nip potential legal issues in the bud and am
looking at two possible solutions.

Option 1: It would be relatively easy to have the "download" links for
packages from Extras-NonUs repositories point to a page explaining that
because Tracker is hosted in the US, it cannot provide links to the
software in question. It can then include instructions on adding the
relevant repo to the user's apt/yum sources and installing the package
that way.

Option 2: Some have suggested hosting Tracker outside of the US. One
problem I see with this is the fact that Tracker relies heavily on
optimizations in mysql 4.x which, because of licensing issues, is still
not easily available on Fedora. In order for Tracker to run well, the
hosting system would have to install Mysql 4.x. Not a big deal, but it
does entail extra work for the system's admin. I don't know if it's
appropriate to ask for such things on this list, but let's just say that
in order for option 2 to to be viable I would first need some
international volunteers =;).

I'm leaning toward option 1 for now, if only to save myself the trouble
of migrating everything. Opinions and legal details (my knowledge of the
issue basically boils down to "DMCA BAD! ROAR!") are, as always,
appreciated.

--Brad