Future: fhs 2.3 compliance for fc3

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Mar 30 23:38:39 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 03:15:57PM -0800, Shahms King wrote:
> > /srv - user data for services not owned by a single specific user there
> > ie:
> So . . . remind me how this is different (fundamentally) from /var ?

/var is variable transient data. Users don't edit files there;
programs do. It's spools and caches and logs.

/srv may contain a mix of user data and program data, including executable
scripts (definitely a no-no in /var!). And, backup strategies for
these filesystems is likely to differ from those for /var.

/home/www was a problem, but /var/www is also very very not right.

> > /media - all the removable media and silliness there.
> And why isn't /mnt adequate for removable media?

I thknk this one is silly. Historically, some people are accustomed to using
/mnt as a temporary mount point. Therefore, having subdirectores that might
be in use would be Terrible.