Fedora Tracker: Part Deux

Brad Smith brads at redhat.com
Wed Mar 31 02:30:28 UTC 2004

> If we control what is
> indexed, then development could continue as part of a Fedora
> sub-project.  i.e. fedora.redhat.com could implement a
> DMCA/Fedora-compliant implementation (albeit limited), while Brad's full
> version could be hosted elsewhere.  This probably defeats the purpose of
> Brad's goals for the Tracker however and wouldn't be very practical..

It's not outside the realm of possibility. Having a more selective
frontend with only Core and Extras packages at the "official" site would
not be particularly difficult. It'd just be the same software with a
smaller set of repositories indexed in the db. I'd prefer if the
selective Tracker at least included a link to and explanation of the
more complete version.

The main issue is simply one of cost-benefit: Is it worth the extra
visibility/officialness to have two interfaces to the data? What do we
stand to lose by keeping Tracker a single, separate entity from the
fedora.redhat.com stuff? As I see it, a sense of officialness and making
the Tracker easier to find are the two biggest things. Both would be
nice, but could be done without.

I don't know. I could go either way on this. Anybody (especially those
who can lay down requirements wrt more official inclusion into the
distro) feel strongly either way?

--Brad