Laptop screen not turning off in ACPI S1

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Sat May 8 20:45:49 UTC 2004

On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 01:11:58PM -0700, Vibol Hou wrote:
> Just out of curiousity, I was reviewing the kernel proper for the code
> that is executed as the system enters suspend and it appears to be
> allocating a VT and switching to it to display debug messages.  This
> appears to be causing my screen to switch back on since I have a script
> that shuts off my display when I initiate sleep mode (script found at:
> http://ltswww.epfl.ch/~dsanta/resources/dell-i8500-linux).  I modified
> the script to work with 2.6.
>
> My question is; is it necessary for the kernel to do all this terminal
> switching?  I'm tempted to patch the kernel to remove the
> allocation/switching/debug code but I'd like to know if this was done
> for a reason (other than to output the debug messages).

Terminal switching, yes, in most cases. Debug code, no, and I think it can
be turned off by writing to the proper file in /proc or suspending with
the proper flags. I don't recall which one and what, as  it changed a few
times. Maybe there's some documentation, or at least the kernel source.

Regards,
Luciano Rocha