CD ripping is broken on USB drives

Jurgen Botz jurgen at botz.org
Mon May 10 15:12:08 UTC 2004

Jurgen Botz wrote:
> I explicitly tell cdparanoia to used /dev/scd0 as both
> the cdrom device and generic device it still tries to
> open sg0...
>[...]
>   Error trying to open /dev/scd0 exclusively (Read-only file system).
>     retrying in 1 second.

I just noticed that the error message is not consistent with
what I said... in fact, if I just use "cdparaoia -g /dev/scd0"
then I get "Error trying to open /dev/sg0 exclusively (No such
device or address)", i.e. it seems to be ignoring my "-g" and
trying to open sg0 anyway.  If I specify both -d and -g I get
the above which is maybe even stranger.

In any case it doesn't work.

:j