On disttags (was: Choosing rpm-release for fc1 and fdr add-on rpms)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue May 18 09:25:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 06:28:17AM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 20:26, Axel Thimm wrote:

> > > Neither in mine. IMO, what some people on this thread call "disttag"
> > > actually is the "root distribution's" repotag. What is confusing is
> > > the fact that RH/FC doesn't use an explicit "RH-repotag/disttag",
> > > while 3rd party packagers apply different and partially
> > > contradicting "disttag" conventions.
> >
> > No, please don't add to this confusion by defining disttags to be
> > repotags of some kind.
> >
> > For simplicity's sake forget about repotag, their current
> > usage/existance etc. The repotag serves no real technical
> > functionality.

> To reiterate: I think distinguishing between "disttags" and
> "repotags" is meaningless, it's all about repotags, only.

Well, what you define as a repotag is what the rest of us call a
disttag. Please use the nomenclature common on this list. Possible
disttags are fc1, fc2, el3 etc., they are an abbreviated rpm-sortable
id for a release (sortable within a distribution family, like FC vs
RHEL) ensuring proper upgrade paths as discussed in this thread.

(optional!) repotags are "fr", "ccrma", "at", ..., denoting origin and
should not enter the discussion about disttags! :)
They also serve not technical functionality at all!

So if you want to build packages, you can do

o Red Hat style:              no adorning at all               foo-1.2.3-4
o With disttags:              using for instance "fc1", "fc2": foo-1.2.3-4.fc1
o With disttags and repotags: using "ralf" as repotag:         foo-1.2.4-4.fc1.ralf

Just start packaging for FC1 and FC2 and you will find out what the
merits of a disttag are (and you will be crying for one ;)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net