On disttags (was: Choosing rpm-release for fc1 and fdr add-on rpms)

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Tue May 18 13:15:54 UTC 2004

On Tue, 18 May 2004, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> Oh, that's what you want disttags for?  Sorry, but it isn't going to
> work.

I disagree, it certainly can work, if used properly.  This is exactly
what many 3rd party repos are doing *right now*.

> Consider that FC3 shipped with say foo-1.2-7.fc3.  FC4 will probably
> undergo a few mass rebuilds, which will make foo-1.2-9.fc4 the package
> in FC4.  While FC5 is under development, a security problem is found
> in foo, and the patch is back-ported into FC3 and FC4.
>
> I suppose this is going to result in foo-1.2-7.fc3.1, foo-1.2-9.fc4.1
> and foo-1.2-10.fc5 (rawhide), all of them containing the fix.  You
> can't just use the version tag to identify packages containing the
> fix.

I think you miss the point.  The point is to be able to release the
"fixed" version as:
foo-1.2-10.%{dist_tag}
Isn't that *much* cleaner/simpler than your 7.fc3, 9.fc4, 10.fc5 example?

-- Rex