On disttags

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu May 20 14:33:49 UTC 2004

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 01:01:11PM -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
>  In the scope of *this* discussion, we're dealing only with non-buggy
> rpm versions, so Fedora Core can safely ignore those problems(*).

> (*) Or possibly someone (RedHat, fedora.us, or fedoralegacy.org) can
> release an rpm errata to fix these issues as well.

This has already been done, by Jeff Johnson at rpm.org (the unofficial
never-made-it-to-official-but-why errate), ATrpms, fedora.us,
fedoralegacy, ...

The reason for these errata was not the letters-vs-numbers or
rpm-non-symmetric bug, but the database corruption and locking issues.

So, if you have the numbers-and-letters bug, then this bug will be the
least you care about ...

Ergo: We can now safely assume rpm handles numbers and letters
correctly. Especially in the scope of the Fedora Project, as well as
for Red Hat's other product lines (the RHEL family).

(I hope I didn't lie about RHEL, someone please confirm).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net