Prepackaged configurations

Paul Nasrat pnasrat at redhat.com
Sun May 23 09:22:13 UTC 2004

On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 02:43:52PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Something that's missing in the OS is an "out of the box" experience
> for the different ways one might use the operating system.

Certainly one of the things I'm looking at atm is config preservation across
upgrades, I think that a lot there is a lot of correlation between config
management and "profiles".

An intresting approach is that of config intent preservation - enabling
switching between alternatives simply, and smooth upgrade across incompatible
conf file syntax change, but that's not going to happen overnight

>  H. Some sort of RPM changes. Presumably we could make RPM smart about this
>  problem in some way. I don't have concrete ideas.

One potential is to use the fact that %config already provides a virtual
provides in rpm. Speaking with Jeff the is some underlying work related to
ts.check to enable a split out for the config packages, then a seperate
foo-config package could be maintained and also potential for local repository
config splits.

Paul